Sunday, November 09, 2014

Long time no see...

Saying that it's been a little while might be bit of an understatement...

I won't bore you with why my life suddenly became much more complicated, but suffice to say that radios took a back seat to everything else for several years.

I have been wanting to get back into it for a while.  While I haven't done much lately, I have slowly started accumulating the pieces so that I can work on the one project that I miss the most - the Philco 70.

I started by giving up on my cabinet.  I still have all of the pieces and parts, but I have decided that I don't have the skill to do it myself.  So I purchased a cabinet from eBay - minus the front panel, and then I purchased a repro front panel to go with it.



If you look closely, you can see that there are some flaws in the veneer, but all things considered, it's solid, and the veneer is not terrible.  

The original thought was just to finish off the front panel, and call it a day.  But the more I look at the cabinet, the less I like the refinishing job that was done.  The dark areas are just too dark, and the sides/top are very blotchy and uneven.  The plan now is to strip it completely and start over.  Today, I glued and clamped one area where the veneer was coming off.  When that's dry, I will break out the Formsby's Refinisher that I have left over, and go to work on this thing.

My inspiration comes from this thread:


I avidly followed this project last year, and it gave me the courage to give it a try on my own cabinet.

So wish me luck, as I dive back in.  I hope I can find the time to get this thing finished off soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home